Shonte Workman, is a member of YouthBuild Philly’s newest class: Class of 2018. Shonte has 100% attendance, and is a budding leader here at YouthBuild. We are excited to highlight Shonte’s YouthBuild journey this month!
What brought you to YouthBuild?
I wanted a second chance at life. I wanted my diploma, not my GED. I dropped out of school at 15 when I had my son, Micah. I was being home-schooled, and it was hard to maintain my grades.
What has your YouthBuild experience been like thus far?
I like YouthBuild a lot. I receive a lot of good feedback from my teachers and it’s very motivating. I feel very supported.
What are your future goals?
I want to get a scholarship so that I can go to college. My long term goal is to become a registered nurse.
Who inspires you?
My son Micah is my inspiration and motivation to achieve my goals. My older sister motivated me as well. (After a conversation with her older sister about her future and not having a diploma, she decided to apply to YB immediately after that conversation.)
What have been your biggest accomplishments at YouthBuild so far?
- Math: I never enjoyed math before, it was always my biggest struggle. Now, I am finally enjoying it. Thanks to Ms. Rebekah who really cares about her students. She allows everyone to learn at their own pace.
- Getting along with peers. Before YouthBuild, I would isolate myself. Now I connect with my peers. We motivate each other. It’s a very supportive environment.
- Simply being part of the Class of 2018! It feels exciting knowing that I’m on the road to getting my diploma. Each day is exciting to me because I know that I am one step closer to my goal.
Have you had any new experiences here at YouthBuild?
In Ms. Jody’s class, I had to get out of my comfort zone and present my auto-ethnography in front of the class. It’s helping me grow in public speaking. At YouthBuild, I’ve been given many chances to step up and be a leader.
If you could give a “shout out” to anyone at YouthBuild, who would it be?
(She couldn’t choose just one.)
- Mr. Rich– He is always very helpful and encouraging.
- Ms. Rebekah– She always provides me with helpful feedback on my work. I never used to receive positive feedback in school, and Ms Rebekah’s input makes me feel happy, like I’m doing something right.
- Ms. Sharena– She always uplifts me when I’m down. She’s like my big sister, someone I look up to.
- Mr. Pete– He always motivates me to go outside of my comfort zone, and when I listen to him I always get good results.
- Mr. Ricky– He is encouraging and motivating.
Who are your favorite teachers?
Mr. Rich and Ms. Rebekah because they are so positive, and they helped me with my REACH forms.
What advice would you give to 16 year old Shonte?
Stay in school, don’t play around in hallways, and that you will never get wasted time back.
Would you recommend YouthBuild to someone else?
Yes, I never felt like this before at any school. Coming to YouthBuild was the best thing I’ve done in my life. It was a good decision.
Keep up the great work Shonte!